Ciao Amici (Hello Friends),
Italy is famous for its beauty and food. When it comes to its cuisine, Pastas, Breads & Italian Salads are highly liked. I love Italian food and especially the breads. Focaccia bread is one of the very popular snacks in Italian cuisine and now all over the world. Focaccia is basically a flat oven-baked bread which is very similar to Pizza. Focaccia with Rosemary is the popular combination when it comes to this particular bread recipe. I love making Focaccia for tea time. This time I decided to make the Focaccia with whole wheat and flavor it with smoked green chillies and parsley flakes.
I have always used all purpose flour for making Focaccia. But this time I wanted to make it with whole wheat flour. After all, whole wheat is a healthy option to choose. 🙂 I was a bit nervous for whole wheat flour because all purpose flour easily rise when mixed with the yeast. But this whole wheat Focaccia turned out really well. It can be served as an appetizer, table bread or a snack. The best thing with this bread is that you can give it a nice twist with your choice of ingredients. Soft, fluffy and full of Italian flavors, this bread is my all time favorite and my friends & guests loved it too and I guess from now onwards, I shall be using whole wheat for my Focaccia breads. 🙂
Meraviglioso…… The whole wheat bread Focaccia with is baked and out of the oven. Bon Appetit 🙂
Hope you like this recipe.See you next 🙂
- For Yeast Preparation:
- 1 tsp - Dry active yeast
- 1/2 tsp - Sugar
- 3/4 Cup - Milk ( I used whole milk)
- For Bread:
- 2 Cups - Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp - Salt
- 1.5 TBSP - Olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp - Garlic Powder
- 7” Cast Iron Pan Or Cookie sheet
- For Topping:
- 1/4 Cup - Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP - Dry parsley flakes
- 1 tsp - Dry Red Chilli Flakes
- 1tsp - Italian seasoning
- 4-5 - Fresh Green Chillies (Optional)
- In a Bowl, have 3/4 cups of lukewarm the milk with sugar. Add dry yeast and let sit this mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- In a big bowl, mix wheat flour, salt, olive oil & garlic powder.
- Add the yeast mixture when it is frothy.
- Knead the dough with dough hook or with your hands. It’ll become a little sticky dough.(its perfectly fine)
- Continue kneading for 5-7 minutes with dough hook OR 8 minutes with the hands on your kitchen counter.
- The Dough will become smooth.
- Grease the cast iron skillet with little oil and keep your dough in it to a warm place for 1 hour for proofing.
- After 45 Minutes, preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After completed 1 hour, check the bread,if it not proofed, keep it in warm place for some extra time.
- When bread is proofed, poke it with your finger to make some small spaces.
- Now, pour your topping preparation over the dough with adding green chillies and bake the bread for 20 minutes or till the golden brown top.