Pooran poli is all purpose flour chapati stuffed with sweet aromatic stuffing and one of the famous and a traditional delicacy which comes from Maharashtra, Karnataka and other southern part of India. I hail from Northern part of India and never tasted pooran poli before. I got a chance to taste it when one of my friends made pooran poli on the auspicious occasion of Ganesha Chaturthi. Pooran Polis are traditionally made from Split yellow gram lentil, jaggery, coconut & nutmeg.
For me, preparing the filling has been always the tricky part in pooran poli preparation. But I never gave up. 😉 Traditionally pooran polis are made in a chapati form with lots of clarified butter(desi ghee). The filling is made of jaggery & yellow split gram lentil. But, I decided to give it a slight twist and decided to make pooran poli pockets instead of the chapati. 🙂 And I believe that this twist will not disappoint my friends who make this delicacy in a very traditional way. Rather than cooking them on a hot pan with lots of desi ghee, I baked them with minimum desi ghee, which is a healthy option too. 🙂 and believe me, the aroma coming out of oven is so nice and seems I am standing in a cardamom garden. 🙂
So, let’s start making these delectable delicacy in form of small pockets.:)
Preparation Time – 30-45 mins + 3-4 hrs of soaking time
Serving – 6
Pooran Poli Pockets fillig:
- Yellow split Gram Lentil -1 cup
- jaggery – 1/2 cup (up to your taste)
- Grated Dry coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom seeds – 1 tsp
- Nutmeg – 1/4 tsp
- Self Rising All purpose flour -2 Cups
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Cold Unsalted Butter – 3/4 part of 1 brick
- Unsalted Butter Milk – 3/4 Cup
- clarified Butter (Desi Ghee) – 2 Tbsp
- First Soak the yellow split gram for 3-4 hours.
- Rinse the daal and cook it in pressure cooker with 1/2 cup of water.
- When cooked properly, cool down the boiled daal for some time.
- Now, Put the boiled daal in a microwave safe bowl and add jaggery in it.
- Run the microwave for 3 minutes first and stir this mixture and run the microwave again for 3 minutes.
- Repeat this process for 3 -4 times, based on your microwave wattage.
- When it comes to dry side, add coconut, nutmeg and cardamom seeds and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenhite
- In 2 cups of self rising flour, mix 1/4 tsp baking soda, cold butter.
- Mix all together for 5 minutes, when the dough reaches crumbly, add buttermilk and make a dough.
- Roll this dough with rolling pin and make a rectangle. Fold it from both sides.
- Sprinkle some dough over it and roll it again and make a rectangle again and fold it form both sides.
- Now, here comes the final part, roll the dough in 2mm thickness rectangle and divide the dough in 2 equal parts.
- Fill one layer with Pooran Poli filling and cover it with the other dough layer.
- Now lock both the layers with pastry cutter Or use a fork to press the sides.
- Brush some clarified butter (desi ghee) on top of each pocket.
- Bake these pockets at 400 degree Fahrenhite for 20 minutes.
Super delicious….. pooran poli pockets are ready and out of the oven. Enjoy these hot Pooran Poli Pockets immediately. 🙂
See you guys soon