On this auspicious occasion of Dusshera, I’ve prepared a sweet treat for you and you know that Diwali is just around the corner and who doesn’t want a quick, delicious and exquisite dessert for these festivals. 🙂 I am so excited for this recipe because it is really close to my heart.
This recipe is from my mother-in-law’s cooking treasure:) and I am so happy to share it with you all. Gajar Halwa does’t need any introduction on how exquisite this delicacy is. I never imagined that the delicious tasting Gajar Halwa can be prepared so quickly.
It was 2 years back when I’ve visited India in winters and my cravings for Gajar Halwa were high. Usually it takes a lot of time to make Gajar Halwa. So, I spoke to my mother-in-law that we will get Gajar Halwa from the market. Why, because that was the only option to serve my sweet tooth instantly. 🙂 I mean it will take a lot of time to wash, grate and boil the carrots before you even start the actual cooking.
Little did I know that I will have the best Gajar Halwa in the next hour. I was in for a surprise when my mother-in-law tells me after 1-1.5 hours that she has prepared the Gajar halwa for me at home. I could never think of making this delicacy so quick. But, hey Mother knows best and, they have the best tips to share. Believe me, it was the best Gajar Halwa I’ve ever eaten. 🙂
So, today I am going to share the tips my mother-in-law gave me to make a delicious, instant Gajar Halwa which is going to amaze you with its traditional flavors. Let’s start making this. Here is the ingredient list below :
Serves ( 7-8 people)
Preparation Time : 30 Mins.
Making time : 25- 30 mins.
- Whole Carrots – 14-16 ( you can take shredded carrots too)(Approx. 10 cups)
- Water – 1 Cup
- Desi Ghee/ Clarified butter – 2 Tbsp
- Mawa/Khoya – 2 Cups
- Sugar – 1 – 1.5 Cups ( As per your taste)
- Almonds – 1/4 Cup ( chopped)
- Cashew – 1/4 Cup (chopped)
- Dry Coconut – 1/2 Cup ( shredded)
- Green cardamom seeds/ Powder – 1 Tsp
- Shred/Grate the whole carrots and cook them in pressure cooker with 1 Cup of water for 5 -7 mins. on high flame. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 more mins.
- Let the pressure cooker rest for some time and then open the lid and drain the cooked carrots.
- Once lukewarm, squeeze the carrots and put them in a bowl.
- Now, heat a heavy bottom/ nonstick pan on medium-high flame with 2 Tbsp desi ghee.
- Put all the squeezed carrots in a pan with Mawa/ Khoya, Sugar, Almonds, Cashews, Dry Coconut & Green Cardamoms.
- Stir this mixture on medium flame for 15-20 mins.
Voila, your Quick Gajar Halwa is ready in no time. Make it fast and relish it even fastest. 🙂
See you next week
Gajar Halwa taste and consistency depends on the quality of carrots. In India, you can find Red, sweet carrots but I found orange color carrots here.
For Making Khoya at home, take 2 Cups of dry milk powder and 1 Cup of heavy whipping cream.
In a nonstick pan, stir this mixture on a medium flame and keep stiring until you get the right consistency ( about 10 mins)