A rainy evening, cozy home, high tea time and my heart is hunting for a snack which is crunchy yet soft, delicious, a bit spicy and full of flavors. So, I decided to make Arancini for a rainy evening. 😋
Arancini, is a very popular Italian delicacy. Arancini – Risotto rice balls stuffed usually with ragu, mozzarella, tomato sauce and peas, soft from inside and crunchy outside. I like to make different types of cuisines with the ingredients handy at that time, while trying to retain (or enhance) the traditional flavors. Arancini is risotto rice balls, but I couldn’t find risotto rice in my kitchen 😕. So, what do I do to make this delicacy to make sure it does not lose on the flavor without Risotto rice? And then I found – Moraiyo Rice(Barnyard Millet)& Quinoa in the kitchen. 🙂
Moraiyo Rice are so popular in India and mostly used during fasting days. They are commonly known as Moraiyo, Sama, mordhan, vari, varai, samak, samvat, vrat ke chawal and in English known as Barnyard millet.
And Quinoa does not need an introduction. So, finally I started to make Arancini with some subtle Italian flavors and it turned out very well. I know these were good because my husband who provides very straight feedback for my food liked the Arancini with hot tea 🙂
So, lets start to make Arancini with very interesting ingredients. 🙂 Take a look on the ingredients first :
Serves (2 People – Approx. 8-10 balls)
Preparation Time – 30 Mins
Making Time : 10-15 Mins
- Moraiyo Rice (Barnyard Millet) – 1/4 Cup + 1/2 Cup water
- Quinoa – 1/4 Cup + 1/2 Cup water
- Heavy whipping cream – 3 – 4 Tbsp
- Mozzarella cheese – 1/2 Cup
- Italian seasoning – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – 1.5 Tsp total ( As per your taste)
- Red Bell pepper – 1 chopped (Optional)
- Coriander leaves – 2 Tbsp chopped (Optional)
- Bread Crumbs – 1/2 Cup ( for coating)
- Oil – For frying
- Cook Moraiyo Rice (Barnyard Millet) with 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 tsp salt in a pressure cooker on a high flame for 5-6 mins. and keep aside.
- Now, cook quinoa with 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 tsp salt in a pressure cooker on a high flame for 5-6 mins.
- Mix cooked moraiyo rice & quinoa together in a large bowl, and let it sit until lukewarm.
- When rice & quinoa mixture is lukewarm, mix 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream, mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, chopped red bell pepper, chopped coriander leaves and 1Tsp salt.
- Make small lemon size balls and roll in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a medium pan on medium to high flame and fry the prepared rice & quinoa balls.
Your Moraiyo Rice & Quinoa Arancini is ready. Serve them with your favorite sauce. 🙂
Let me know how you like this recipe.
See you all soon